About Me

My photo
My human, Mia, has been working so hard. She is so inspired by my plan. My plan is to go all over the United States meeting new and wonderful people, to share their stories, and to find the connection between all people. Mia is so wonderful, and I want to meet more wonderful humans like her.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Listen to Others as the Speak

Mia has something to say:

Hi Everybody! It's a pretty rare occasion when I write a blog, I tend to leave the blog writing to Taco. I feel more comfortable behind the camera & driving the car. However today I want to write about somethings that's I've noticed.

People aren't listening. Truly Listening.

I'm amazed when I stand back and just listen to what's going on around me at what I hear and observe.

In Central Park Taco & I were walking through a pasture.  I was focused on walking from my point A to my point B when I realized I wasn't paying any attention. I decided to stop and just listen, of course there were people around me. What I could hear was the sound of people connecting. There was a couple playing the guitar together, and a group of men playing sports, several gatherings of people chit chatting about life.

Then in Salem, Mass I was in a Coffee shop waiting on Taco to finish blogging, when I had the opportunity to ease drop on a couple talking.  They were reconciling after a fight, apparently a very big fight, since it sounded like they had dated and were now working on being friends. What I could hear besides the words they were saying how much they cared for the other's well being & wanted to have each other in their lives.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL brought the opportunity for me to hear the loneliness in another voice, as he talked about missing his deceased wife. He was talking about how she'd prepared the Christmas decorations and packed them away every year so they only had to be pulled out of boxes and places out. Trees already decorated and everything! He never once said the words that he still loved her and missed her, but I could hear it when I was really listening.

Over Christmas break (Taco and I took about a week off) at home with my family.  I heard both words of concern for our safety & words of excitement (or even jealousy) for what we were getting to do this year. I also heard love, though mainly unspoken. I know no matter what was being said no matter what, they were all saying they loved me. It was just in their own way.

I didn't start this trip with Taco  thinking I'd learn much, especially not about how I listen to the world.  I really thought this trip was about Taco and his desire to meet people.  Little did I know the impact it would have on me.

I encourage you today to start the practice of "really" listening. Hearing not only the words coming from the person but also their intent behind those words.

I wonder if we all focused on the intent of our words & the intent of other's words if we'd all get along easier. Cause when I listen one on one I tend to hear: Love, Affinity, Acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment